How to get 2 computers (for example a controller and your NT laptop) to communicate with each other.
1st step is to establish communication. The following must be checked:
· Connect 2 PCs through Ethernet. You have 2 choices: either direct with a crossover cable, or through a hub with a regular (not crossover) Ethernet cable. Usually RJ45 connectors.
2nd step is to find the computer:
· Go to START/Programs/Windows NT Explorer.
· Select Tools/Find/Computer and type in name of the computer. The name of a computer can be found with START/Settings/Control Panel/Network
· If you do not find the other computer, you may check in Network (see last point). Go to Protocols/TCP-IP protocol/Properties and set the IP number of one computer to 22.214.171.124 and the other to 126.96.36.199. Make sure that the Subnet mask is set to 255.255.255.0.
· You can then ping the other computer by going to START/Programs/DOS command prompt and type in at the prompt: ping 188.8.131.52 (if you are at 184.108.40.206 and viceversa). You should get a reply or a timeout. If you get a timeout, you better check your Ethernet cables, Speed (10 MB or 100 MB), etc.
3rd step (after you found the computer) is to double-click on the name. The other computer will ask you for a user name and a password. For EditorGT they are: Operator (user name) and gt (password). Beware of case sensitiveness. You should now see the accessible drives D and E. The EditorGT is always in D:\EditorGT\…
To copy a folder or file from your PC to the controller, you go to your PC, select the folder or file to be copied with CTRL-C (Copy) and go to the destination folder on the controller. Then you press CTRL-V (Paste). Please remember always to rename the destination folder before copying anything, so that you can always go back to the old version.
Enjoy Windows NT. It is a fine operating system that is accredited to be the most thought-out and stable operating system of Microsoft.